Friday, October 21, 2011

Dioscorea opposita, or Japanese Mountain Yam

Dioscorea opposita 
My farmer friend down the mountain grew some "yamaimo" seeds two years ago, and as I rode by on my way to work, I stopped to watch him dig them out. That he gave me one was just a super lucky bonus!
I am kicking myself that I didn't take a picture of the whole root, which was as big as my arm at least. This thing was huge!
I peeled the root, since Mayuho can't touch it because it makes her itchy. But I am fine with it. So anyway, I cut the bottom third off, peeled it, and began to grate it over a mixing bowl.



It was beautifully gooey. Just wonderful!

Then we put some soy sauce in, and dumped it over a big bowl of brown rice. Wow, that was sooooo good!

2 comments:

  1. How strange! which makes it all the more intriguing. What does it taste like???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The taste.... hmmm.... hard to describe really. It is more of a texture than a taste. It is definitely very silky or velvety on the tongue. There is a very subtle hint of earthy flavor.

    ReplyDelete