Monday, February 15, 2010

My Orchard/Vinyard/Berry Patch.


I have a small orchard I started, Dave Wilson style two years ago. All my neighbors laugh at me. They tell me that the trees are too close together, and that I won't get enough fruit. And every one of them gives me advice on how to prune them. If only any two pieces of that advice matched.

I like the Dave Wilson method- it makes sense to me. In a young forest, the trees and shrubs aren't all spaced 12 feet apart, most grow in clumps. And what is my orchard but a young forest? Also the different cultivars of each fruit to give me a longer harvest sounds great. If it works, I should have apples from late August to December!

At any rate, I think I have a nice variety. Now if they ever start fruiting, I will have:
Loquat, Quince, Figs, Asian Pear, Peach, Plum, Prune, Persimmon, Pear, Apple, Cherry, Apricot, Nectarine, Pomegranate, PawPaw, Wolfberry, Raspberry (yellow, red, and black), Blackberry, Boysenberry, Gooseberry, Currants (red, white, and black), Grapes, Hascap, Blueberry, Mulberry, and Jujube. Oh, and my citrus- :) Satsuma, Lemon, Kumquat, Yuzu, Sudachi, Kabosu, and Shiquasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment