Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hybrid Tomato Seed Saving

Everytime I look up seed saving on the internet, it always tells me to "make sure you are using open pollinated seeds."

Remember that old ditty- "You say To-may-to, I say To-Ma-to"

If you plant a tomato seed from a hybrid, you will still get a tomato. Maybe not the same one, (although it is possible) but really, if you took a blind taste test of 5 varieties of homegrown beefsteak tomatoes, could you tell the difference? I have never had a bad tomato from my own garden. From the supermarket, yes, homegrown, no.

As an added bonus, if you keep on saving the seed from the most delicious of the offspring, it will probably stabilize and give you your own personal variety, suited perfectly to your climate and region. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment