Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Popcorn Cornbread

I had a hankering for some good old fashioned cornbread this morning. But, here in Japan, I have never seen cornmeal for sale. Anywhere.
Then I had an idea- what if I took some popcorn kernels, put them in the blender, and hit the button?
I am proud to tell you that it worked like a charm. The noise was intense, but the effect was wonderful cornmeal.

My recipe- adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook:

1c flour
3/4c cornmeal
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. salt

2 eggs
1c milk
1/4c veg. oil

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium-large bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl.
Add the wet to the dry and stir just until moistened.
Dump it in a cake pan, and chuck it in a 200C oven (400F) for 20 min.

That's good eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment